Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

"Hope Rides Eternal" for Sgt. Eddie Jeffers' Dad

How does one react to the death of one's child in a war that many deem "immoral"? For some, like the Cindy Sheehan's of the world, it turns into seething anger and ugliness, for others...for those who believe that this is the ultimate battle between darkness and light, for those who walk in faith with God, it turns into acceptance, with a grace, strength and humility that is beyond comprehension. One such person is David Jeffers, the father of Sgt. Eddie Jeffers, patriot, brave soldier and author of the powerful "Hope Rides Alone" opinion piece. This is my tribute to both Eddie and David. Rest in Peace Eddie.

In a recent post (upon learning of Eddie's tragic and untimely passing) I wrote about how guilty I felt for not having followed through with a simple request Eddie's dad made of Eddie's 'admirers' in May. Soon after publishing that last post, I received an email from David Jeffers that brought tears to my eyes. For some reason, he was unable to post a comment on my blog, so he asked that I post the content of his email after I read it.

What touched me most, was that this man, in the midst of what both he and his family are going through, had the graciousness to reach out to me in kindess, in order to comfort and alleviate my feelings of regret.

Here is what he wrote:


Incog,

How about if I take the first step? It's Dave; Eddie's father. My dear friend you have no need to feel guilty or apologize. I appreciate you spreading the word about Eddie's article. I encourage you and your readers to check at
www.newmediajournal.us for my tribute article about Eddie. It will be out Monday morning and is titled "Hope Rides Eternal." I know you want to do something, so here's three things you can do and I hope it helps alleviate your pain and guilt:

1. Continue blogging; it is vital you do this.
2. Honor Eddie's life with a commitment to stand for what he believed in. That will be addressed in my article and on my blog in the coming months.
3. You can give money to Eddie's favorite charity,
www.fisherhouse.org.

I hope this helps, God bless you. Do not fret another moment. My family loves you and more importantly, so does Jesus.

In Christ
Dave Jeffers
Ps. 37:4


I wanted to wait until I had read his beautiful tribute to his son (which, too, brought tears to my eyes) published in The New Media Journal, today, before I published his email. I highly recommend reading it.

So, this is for you David. Thank you for your past military service, and that of your son! I will continue the fight, in any way I can, to ensure your son's death was not in vain. And I will donate to fisherhouse.org in his name.

May you and your family be showered with all of God's good blessings in these sad and trying times.

God Bless all our soldiers, this country and the world!



Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
William Wordsworth
Dave Jeffers blog. He will be continuously posting a call to arms.

9 comments:

Karen Townsend said...

What a touching post, Incog. What a father, no mystery why the son was so special.

And you are a good friend.

Missy said...

What an awesome post! I agree with Karen - what a father and what a son!

Pat Jenkins said...

i imagine you have received no greater e-mail in your life incog. we thank mr. jeffers for producing a brave, couragous son, and know the honor Eddie has shown is a portrait of America and the men and women who have sacrificed their lives for the good of humanity. and incog i am glad you have had an impact in your little corner of the world with your blog. keep up the good work.

WomanHonorThyself said...

beautiful post Incog!..what a pair of heros!

Stylin said...

Thats a great post Incog.
He is indeed a great example to all fathers.
I have goosebumps as I write this.
Going to check his blog

Paul Champagne said...

What a difference between him and Cindy Sheehan

Incognito said...

INdeed, both, heros!

Jim Fryar said...

I was deeply touched by both your words and those of Dave Jeffers. As an Australian, it is an honor to have friends like these.

Incognito said...

And it is an honour to have friends like the Aussies, who have been the only ones who have stood side by side with the yanks during all wars. I admire your country, your government and your people for its strength and courage