Pages

Thursday, January 03, 2008

2007 to 2008- And Nothing Has Changed

So, another turbulent and tragedy-filled year has passed: from multiple school massacres to massive arson-induced fires in this country, and an assassination, violence and riots around the rest of the world. And though January 1st is really just another day, it's symbolic of many things to many people. An opportunity to implement change, make resolutions. Out with the old, in with the new. When I lived in Quito, Ecuador, on New Year's eve they would have huge street parties where effigies representing the old year were burned. A purging of the old to make way for the new, so to speak.

One always harbours the hope that, with the advent of a new year, things might somehow miraculously change, that people might aspire to reach for the light rather than cling to the darkness, but our sad little world still remains an irreparable mess. 2008 was greeted not with hope and goodwill, but more death and destruction. Further violence erupted in Kenya, where a mob set fire to a church, on Tuesday, killing at least 50 people. In Baghdad, a suicide bomber murdered 30 people when he blew himself up inside the home of people mourning a man who 3 days earlier, had been killed by a car bomb. Imagine targeting a group of people already mourning a death. How despicable and evil is that?!

I'm not sure what the rest of the year will bring, but if the first few days is any indication, it does not bode well.

Keep those prayers going, because we're going to need it. We're in for a rocky road ahead.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Yes..sadly..the world is a very dangerous place to live. I do pray it gets better...I wonder what next year will be like..whom will we as Americans have elected into office..it is an important year coming up..I feel...

Pat Jenkins said...

all these acts further underscore mankinds need for a "savior" from himself.... i have a suggestion for you. a post that tells us all the places you have lived. along with what special thing may have happened there. like your ecuador tale. i would enjoy it.

Stylin said...

It seems so hard to live in this world,does' nt it ?

MUD said...

My suggestion for you is to turn off the TV, put down the internet and get a good book for a few days of escapism. Think of the serenity prayer - God grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference. I have a niece that cries at the drop of a hat and wonders why. Her daughter was killed by a rapist (a family member) and she is a member of a group that helps families when they lose a child. It would be like having a scab and picking it off on a regular basis. I could not live with that wound if I daily had to pick it off until I cried. Get a copy of "You've got Mail" and laugh until you cry. MUD

Frank Partisan said...

In Kenya there are 300 parties. There was 10 presidential candidates. About 2,000 parliment candidates.

WomanHonorThyself said...

hiya Incog!..going to be optimistic if it kills me..lol

WomanHonorThyself said...

hiya Incog!..going to be optimistic if it kills me..lol

Incognito said...

MONDAY: Yes, it should be a very interesting year, Mel. And I hope we choose the right one!

PATJ: Hmmm.. will think about that PJ.

FRASY: Well, it is a challenge, all the more important to seek a spiritual life.

MUD: Great suggestion MUD! I love it. And what a horrible thing about your niece. I guess she feels she's doing a service.. but harming herself at the same time. I'm still working on detachment.

REN: Yikes. Someone was bound to get angry. Thank God we only have 2 or 3 major ones.

WOMAN: That's wonderful. I am going to try and do the same thing. :-)

Malinda777 said...

I'm going to keep on hoping and have some faith that some good will come. It's still the USA, and hopefully, things do get better :)

Incognito said...

Hello Malinda! That's truly the best way to be!! And they will, because ultimately God is in control of everything.