Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Jilted Woman Ends Communist Party Member's Career- Posts Affair Details Online

William Congreve said in "The Mourning Bride":


Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd, 
Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd. 

Of course, that can be said for anyone who has been dumped, but in this case it was a married 34-year-old Chinese postdoctoral researcher Chang Yan who posted online, in full detail, her liaisons with 54-year-old Yi Junqing, propaganda chief of the Communist Party in northern China.  The one year or so affair started in October 2011, and Chang waited about a month before posting the 120,000 rundown of their 17 times together.  Yi is no longer employed.

" [snip] Mr Yi had once nursed lofty ambitions. "I am quite talented after all," he confided to Mrs Chang last February after one of their meetings in the XiXi Friendship Hotel. "Xi Jinping [China's incoming president] and Li Yuanchao [the former head of the Party's internal HR department] have a good impression of me."
 [snip]

 But even before he hired Mrs Chang, a graduate of the Marxism College of Renmin university, Mr Yi was undone.

"We went to a Japanese restaurant," she recorded, in August 2011. "He had two bottles of sake. I was trying to figure out what he wanted, money or me. I knew I would have to pay one way or another to work at the bureau. In fact, I had already paid 10,000 yuan (£1,000).

"He said he would hire me within two months. I drank a lot and I felt excited. Later, as he helped me to get a taxi, I felt frisky and asked him to hug me. He said it was too public."

By December, Mrs Chang had a job and Mr Yi had a lover.

"I booked a room and he brought along some sushi and sake," she wrote. "I drank quickly, wanting to get drunk. I was quite red in the face but my mind was clear.

"He went to the bathroom and I took everything off apart from my underwear. When he returned, I was lying under the duvet, blushing," she wrote.

As rumours of their affair began to leak out last year, Mr Yi had second thoughts. He dispatched one of his deputies to brush Mrs Chang off, suggesting that if she left Beijing and returned to her home city of Taiyuan, in Shanxi province, they would arrange for a professorship at a local university.
"He said in the future I should hide my opinions and my body too. I was almost heartbroken and I went back to Taiyuan," she wrote.

It's quite obvious Chang was not a victim, but a pro-active participant. And apparently she did feel some remorse because she removed the post saying it was fiction, but by then it was too late.

No comments: