Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

"How Not To Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police"- Chris Rock's old but timely advice- Video

I think everyone can agree that we need police reform. There are some corrupt cops, there are some bad cops who take advantage of their positions of authority to exert power over others, and there are some that have anger management issues and should never have become cops in the first place

Take Derek Chauvin who had at least 17 to 20 complaints lodged against him over the years, but was finally removed only after he calmly, defiantly, and mercilessly shoved his knee on George Floyd's neck, hand in pocket, for a good 8 minutes while the man begged for help, calling out for his mama. Floyd wasn't resisting as he lay face down on the asphalt like many others we've seen. In fact, for those last few minutes, he was already unconscious. No threat at all.

Yes, Floyd had a criminal past, yes, he was possibly trying to purchase something with an alleged fake $20.00 bill,  yes, he was on drugs, but he didn't deserve to die. Chauvin had no right to be judge, jury, and executioner.

So, yes, bad cops exist, but there are evildoers in almost every industry and we shouldn't judge the whole by the few bad. However, this post isn't about that, it's about the fact that the majority of people of every skin color who have encounters with the police walk away with no issues. If you are not committing a major crime and you act respectfully and don't resist, you won't wind up dead on a sidewalk.

However, if you're mouthy, you will most definitely get some flak. Take my mom, for instance, who has never responded well to being told what to do. Factor in a sassy attitude, couple that with an authority figure, and you have a recipe for disaster. Take that time in 2013 when the TSA officer balked at the fact that unbeknownst to my mom her Driver's License had expired. Mum made such a major stink that she almost didn't make it to California. I had to pull the TSA agent aside and explain that my mom is bi-polar and has issues. They let her through, but mum was the one they pulled aside to be thoroughly searched from head to toe. My dad and I breezed through. Then there was the time, on a trip back from South America, that my mom refused to get in the line that the immigration officer at Miami Airport had pointed us to. Whose luggage was searched?  Mom's. And on a road trip with my dad somewhere down south, my mum and dad were pulled over.  Not sure what the reason was, but apparently my mom mouthed off to the police officer and she was almost hauled off to jail.  My mom doesn't remember the incident, and my dad is no longer with us, but my dad wrote a letter complaining about the treatment of my mom. So yeah, if you mouth off you will suffer the consequences.

That's why I thought I'd share this Chris Rock video from ages ago.

How Not To Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police

It should be required viewing for all ages and races. It's very funny with some great advice.



No comments: