Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Was A Republican



I had always been under the (obviously false) impression that the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a member of the Democratic Party.

I had absolutely no idea that he was actually a Republican until a few years ago when I was driving down a certain street, in a certain town, and came upon the above billboard. As I drove past, I had to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me, so I made a u-turn, parked across the street and took the photo. There in red, white and blue was a statement claiming Dr. King was a Republican. Could it be true? So as soon as I arrived back at my apartment, I checked out the National Black Republican Association (NBRA) and discovered a wealth of information that isn't readily made available anywhere else.

Democrats, either through ignorance or a willful effort to deceive, refuse to acknowledge that one of the greatest orators of our time, a man who almost singlehandedly helped advance the civil rights movement, was a Republican not a Democrat.

An inspiration to many, he was taken from us way too soon.

Watch the whole "I Have A Dream" speech below.

3 comments:

Irish Hiker said...

Have you read Rev. King's "Letter from a Birmingham JAil" lately? It is an elegant and heart wrenching piece of literature.

Incognito said...

IrishHiker: No, I haven't, but thank you for the recommendation. His speeches were always so eloquent. I will look into it. thanks..

SnoopyTheGoon said...

NBRA? Hmm...