This information has just been released thanks to a lawsuit by Judicial Watch which was filed in August 2013.
The trips included:
1. The Obama Christmas holiday in Hawaii- 12/21/12 through 1/5/13.
2. A trek to California in August, 2013 to hobnob with DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg (for a private fundraiser), and an oh-so important appearance on the Jay Leno Show.
3. And some fun times for the whole family in Martha's Vineyard, MA during the latter part of August, 2013.
According to Judicial Watch:
* The outbound flight to Honolulu for the Obamas’ 2012-13 Christmas vacation cost taxpayers $2, 214, 393.60. The return flight to Washington cost $1,871,961.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $4,086,355.20.
* The outbound flight to California in August, 2013 for Obama to dine with Katzenberg and appear on the “The Tonight Show” cost taxpayers $1,209,926.40. The return flight to Washington cost $935,980.80. Flight expenditures alone came to $2,145,907.20.
* The outbound flight to Martha’s Vineyard for the Obama family’s August vacation cost taxpayers $890,323.20. The return flight to Washington cost $273,945.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $1,164,268.80.
* The grand total of $7,396,531.20, Judicial Watch pointed out, only accounted for flight expenses for the three trips.
“The fact is, the Obamas are abusing the public trust and the taxpayers with unnecessary luxurious vacations and travel,” Judicial Watch said in its report. “These staggering costs show why these documents were covered-up and we had to sue in federal court to get them. Another transparency fail for the Obama gang, but thanks to our federal lawsuit it is another accountability win for the American taxpayer.”