Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bill Clinton Praises Newt Gingrich In Newsmax Interview

Well this is interesting.  Bill Clinton praised would-be presidential candidate Newt Gingrich in an interview with Newsmax

“He’s articulate and he tries to think of a conservative version of an idea that will solve a legitimate problem,” Clinton told Newsmax in the exclusive interview this week, by way of explaining the Gingrich resurgence. Gingrich holds frontrunner status in the race for the GOP nomination, as several polls have him surpassing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Clinton continued: “For example, I watched the national security debate last night. And Newt said two things that would make an independent voter say, ‘Well, I gotta consider that.’

“He said, ‘OK, I don’t want to legitimize immigrants who came here undocumented, illegally.’ On the other hand, a lot of those people have been here for years, they worked hard, they paid taxes, they’ve got kids in the schools, they’re not criminals, we’re going to have a hard time sending them all home, there’s millions of them. So, I’d like to have a process where they could be here legally but not have a path to citizenship. That sort of splits the difference between the immigration reforms proposed by President Bush and President Obama, which would give a path to citizenship, and would be a version of what President Reagan did.”

Gingrich is definitely smart and he's a great debater. He will probably get my vote, since I don't really care about his 'baggage' and I think he might be the only one who can beat Obama. But I am still giving it my thought.

It's rare for a Democrat to praise a Republican, so it makes one wonder why such praise.

No comments: