Pages

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year 2012

I'll admit, 2011 was no fun, particularly regarding my finances.  2011 saw the closing of many theatres, some in my region, and with that went the acting opportunities. The year was actually quite pitiful, one of the worst I've ever had, work-wise, but ever the optimist I'm looking forward to what the new year might bring. I know I will  have some re-assessing to do, since my COBRA insurance payments are hefty and the acting work is slim to none. However, I do know that I will land on my feet whatever happens, though trying to figure out what to do next, after a lifetime of acting, is rather daunting.

I remember when I lived in Quito Ecuador (for two years as a teen), tradition was to burn the old year (Año Viejo) in effigy on New Year's Eve. We'd  head out to Amazonas Street (one of the main drags which was blocked off on December 31) and we'd walk up and down enjoying the street entertainment and the burning of effigies.  This year I wouldn't have minded a 2011 effigy to burn, but instead I spent the day cleaning my house, made some collard greens and black-eyed peas, ate a bunch of grapes, and now am good to go. I'm really not superstitious at all,  but thought it would be fun to try some new, New Year's Eve traditions.

We start every year with a new slate, and I'm looking forward to making this a good one.  I know it's just another day, but for some reason it feels different and therefore gives us the opportunity to start afresh and re-affirm our goals in life.

Though our choices for president are less than stellar, the top few (except for Ron Paul who'd be disastrous) would be a far better choice than what we currently have in office, and there's promise in that. Let's hope Americans make the right choice in 2012.

In the meantime, I wish you peace, joy, abundance and above all else good health.

Happy New Year and many blessings!

No comments: