Pages

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

"I Love Israel" Egytian Singer's Anti-Israel Song

Amr El Masry is an Egyptian singer of Sha'abi music, which is peasant folk music that Cairo cab drivers and poverty stricken Cairo residents love, at least according to this website.

El Masry, who looks more like a greasy cabbie than a pop star wrote a song titled "I Love Israel". But don't get too excited, this isn't some enlightened Arab  (though there are a few of those), he actually hates Israel- at least according to his song.  Yes, I know the title says he loves Israel, but most of the lyrics are about how he'd love to see Israel destroyed.

Charming.
Here are a few stanzas:
"My name is Amr El Masry, I love Israel.
I love Israel.
I love Israel.
I love Israel.

May it be destroyed.
May it be colonized.

May it be destroyed.
May it be colonized.

May it be wiped off the map.
May a wall fall on it.

I love Israel.
I love Israel.

May it disappear from the universe.
God, please have it banished.

May it disappear from the universe.
God, please have it banished.
Not sure what point he's trying to make with the title, but it's pretty stupid. Trying to be funny?  Doesn't work.

No comments: