Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

UK Judge Tells Woman To Remove Burqa

Bravo to UK Judge Peter Murphy who told a burqa-clad woman that she must remove her burqa before submitting her plea. She was accused of intimidating a witness.

The judge said:

“While I obviously respect the right to dress in any way she wishes, certainly while outside the court, the interests of justice are paramount.

“I can’t, as a circuit judge, accept a plea from a person whose identity I am unable to ascertain."

“There is the principle of open justice and it can’t be subject to the religion of the defendant whether the principle is observed or not.” 

“I am not saying this because of the particular form of dress by this defendant I apply that to any form of dress that had the same issues.”

More details on Al Arabiya.

No comments: